Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Float Fail

So I had heard of Guinness ice cream floats before and it sounded delicious. I have tried a bite of this once or twice before with other stouts and thought it to be fairly good. So I figured I'd take it to the next level... FAIL.

The other day I had a Péché Mortel and loved it. It's rated very high on ratebeer and beeradvocate and finally found it in KC. It's now at 3 stores that I know of. It's an imperial stout with coffee. The coffee isn't quite as overwhelming as a Founders Breakfast Stout because of the bold malt backbone. As this warms to room temperature it tastes magnificent. So I poured some in with some frozen yogurt, hey it's all we had. It tasted terrible. Why did it fail? Tasted the yogurt by itself and it was fine. Drank the rest of the beer and it was awesome. But the two went together like cheese and dirt. Oh well, it looks good.

5 comments:

HomeBrewHawk said...

Use real ice cream next time! I like a stout float as well.

Lost said...

So sad! Keep trying combination though. Hint: Drink 3 or 4 brews before you try the dessert...anything will taste good!

-Lost

beersavorer said...

Those two nice coffee stouts are probably best enjoyed by themselves! I had friends over for stout floats last summer; I used my homemade vanilla ice cream. Their favorite was with Southern Tier's Mokah Imperial Stout.

markbe said...

definitely use real ice cream. looks like you used a little more beer than i do. i just pour a little on like chocolate syrup, not like a typical root beer float. had one last nite with Five Seasons Grape Ape (in ATL this week) that was incredible. i second the Southern Tier recommendation, tho i used Choklat, which is used in making the Mokah.

kcillini77 said...

Just last night I made a float out of Breyer's coffee ice cream and Bully! Porter out of one of my taps. It was mighty tasty.